Juicing and Weight Loss
Juicing and weight loss go together like a hand in a glove.
You may have weight loss as an objective when you first start juicing but the benefits of juicing go far beyond this goal.
For one thing it is a good way to get more fruit and vegetables into your diet.
In general, aim to eat three to four vegetables and two whole fruits. Making sure that they are all of a different color will give you the rainbow effect. Phytonutrients and enzymes in the soluble fiber are more easily absorbed by juicing.
One thing we are very aware of is time. This is why the fast food situation is so out of balance. We only have so many hours in our busy day. Pre-blended juices made from the purest sources can be a way to go if you are unable to go through the cleaning, prep and juicing stages needed juice.
Wheatgrass is another super nutrient dense healthy drink worth trying with so many benefits that is is hard to catalogue them all. See our page on wheatgrass.
The Benefits of Juicing
- Weight loss is one of the biggest reasons why people juice. You can shed pounds fast with juicing and feel much healthier.
- Shinier and healthier hair. With all those nutrients going into your system, your hair is going to have a natural luster. Brittle hair and flakey scalp are symptoms of essential nutrient deficiencies.
- More Energy will be immediately noticeable. If you juice regularly, your energy level will sky rocket and you will probably throw away those red bulls and even coffee.
- Clearer skin. Use lemon juice as a cleanser and toner. After a while of juicing you will notice wrinkles and Gucci bags disappearing before your eyes. You will look younger!
- Stronger bones are another by-product of a good juicing regimen.
- Better mental and emotional feeling. The link between diet and feeling good is a no-brainer. Just track certain foods that you eat for a week and see how they affect you. Observe how a good energizing juice affects your sense of well-being.
- Clean Energy. It takes energy to digest but far less for juice. The extra energy goes to your energy reservoir.
- Heart health improvements. Most of the heart problems people suffer from is because they are eating junk food. Juicing will reverse those factors that create clogging of arteries.
- More Chloropyhll. Your system will be loaded with life giving chlorophyll. This is a powerful blood cleanser, helping to build blood and immunity. It will remove mold and kill parasites in your body. Chlorophyll will help you feel stronger.
- Juicing is a preventative medicine. From, diabetes to cancer to digestive problems and liver ailments, juicing will help the system rebalance and nourish oxygen starved cells.
- Oxygenation of the system. The fresh juice will increase oxygen uptake and make you feel like you have just had a five mile jog.
- Liver cleansing with juice will give your liver a break from having to digest all those fries, hamburgers and anti-nutrients. Your energy will jump and you will feel much better as a result.
The Difference Between Blending, Juicing and Smoothies
When first starting out on a juicing journey, some confusion can arise regarding what is the difference between a smoothie and juice?
Juice is made with a juicer and will separate out the soluble fiber from the insoluble fiber.
The pulp is the insoluble fiber. This can be saved for cooking or adding to juice for a little extra fiber.
A smoothie will give you more yield for your fruits and vegetables and more pulp. Juice will usually have a smaller yield and no pulp. Juice is a soluble fiber. Fiber helps to move food through the digestive system but is not digested itself. Soluble fiber is soluble in water. Soluble fiber helps to lower bad cholesterol (LDL) by absorbing digestive bile, which then creates more bile which absorbs cholesterol. So in a nutshell.
- Fast way to get liquid nutrition in a cup.
- Generally more filling than juicing so can be a meal substitute.
- More fiber which is both detoxifying and cleansing.
- Contains lots of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
- Fast and easy absorption of nutrients.
- A great way to heal your digestive system.
- Cannot really be a meal substitute unless you are using it for a juice cleanse.
- Best of all, it provides a highly concentrated amount of nutrients in a cup.
Starting to Juice
Find a Good Juicer, one that will suit you. We have some recommendations based on research and experience. Before going on a shopping expedition list the fruits and vegetables that you may need. Remember to over order as juicing extracts the juice and leaves the pulp.
When you are prepared it can make a big difference to continuing to juice. The previous night, clean and wash your fruits and vegetables and store them. Make sure your juicer is assembled. If you would like to jump right into the juice river without the shopping expeditions and juicers etc try some of these highly concentrated organic juices.
The Juicing Sequence
Start by washing your produce thoroughly. Bacteria can contaminate your fruits and vegetables so wash them very carefully. As soon as you cut a piece of fruit or vegetable, the loss of nutrients starts. Cut or slice your produce only when you are ready to start juicing.
Make sure your pieces can go through your juicer easily. If you place a plastic bag in your juicer’s pulp basket, you will save yourself a lot of time when it comes to cleaning. When you feed your produce into the juicer use a higher speed for the harder vegetables and shift gears to the slower speed for softer items. For example, beets and apples would be a higher speed than softer leafy vegetables.
When you are left with the pulp, try putting it through the juicer again to extract even more juice. It is recommended to drink your juice as soon as you can because vital phytonutrients and nutrients are lost as soon as the produce is cut.
There are no preservatives in the juice which is why it is so healthy. Use a glass jar if possible to store the juice because plastic can leach chemicals into the juice. Two days is usually the maximum time to keep juice.
Storing your Juice
- Store in a fridge. Juice will keep for 24-48 hours quite well. 72 hours is a maximum.
- Store juice in a cool dark environment that is away from heat and light.
- Make at least a double batch which you can drink part of right away and the rest later in the same day or within a 24-48 hour period. The strongest and purest juice is of course right after the jucing is complete.
- Prevent oxygen from getting into your container by filling it all the way up. The oxygen will deplete your nutrients.
- Use glass if you can or a very good food grade BPA free plastic container.
- Freezing is discouraged but if you must refrigerate, drink the juice within 7-10 days and allow it to thaw out in the refrigerator.
Whether you are juicing for weight loss or to rebalance your health, I am sure that you will discover far more benefits than you thought possible. Find a juicer that will suit your needs and get into the habit of juicing. Your natural vigor and energy will emerge and you will wake up one morning saying “Wow! I feel and look just great!” Most illness and low energy is caused by a poor diet and not enough exercise. With juicing you are on the fast track to health and well being.