Raw Food Detox Diet
A raw food detox diet can only benefit you. We will be looking at what you will need for the detox, what you should be careful of, what to expect and recipes that can help your detox.
There is quite a bit to know going into a detox and coming out of a detox. Another area we will go into is the symptoms of a raw food diet detox and what foods to avoid.
We are promoting natural food grown organically and not quick fix pills and potions that usually have side effects.
Another alternative is tea…Matcha Tea. This super elixir does many beneficial things in the body and mind and detoxing is one of them.
What Are The Benefits of a Raw Food Detox Diet?
In a nutshell, you will feel absolutely great! The accumulated toxins and impurities in your body will flush out leaving you feeling clean and elevated. Here are some of the benefits.
- Weight Loss.
- Clearer skin.
- Improved memory.
- Clearer sinuses.
- Much more energy.
- Better digestion.
- More regularity in bowel movements.
- Improved demeanor, feeling happier.
There are a number if symptoms that can occur after or during a raw food detox diet. Some can be a little alarming but it just means that toxins are moving out of the system. You can expel toxins mainly from your skin, liver, bowel, and kidneys. During a detox you may not feel so good, but afterwards you will ask yourself why you have never done one before. You may experience any of the following symptoms.
- Feeling abnormally tired and fatigued.
- Skin breakouts.
- Craving different foods. You may even dream of milk shakes and eating juicy burgers.
- Congestion and a mucus build up.
- Difficulty sleeping and even nightmares.
- Stomach pains
- Bloating and gas.
These are all normal symptoms which will pass in time. It is usually uncomfortable in varying degrees but once again, you will feel so much better afterwards.
Raw Foods That Detox you
- Lemon is a powerful detoxifier and alkalizer. Try it in the morning on an empty stomach with warm water.
- Cilantro gets rid of heavy metals and is loaded with chlorophyll.
- Beetroot is a powerful detoxifier for the liver.
- Celery is a strong alkalizer which helps the digestion as well as cleansing the liver and gall bladder. It has diuretic properties and is a natural laxative. It is also diuretic.
- Carrots are sweet so will be helpful in any detox recipes. It has tons of vitamin A and is a good cleanser.
- Fennel is very useful to assist in bloating and gas. It relaxes the gut and can relieve spasms and abdominal pain.
- Dandelion greens are full of vitamin A and are a liver detoxifier and mild diuretic. The vitamin A component helps our immune systems to fight bacteria.
- Dark leafy greens like kale, spinach, wheatgrass, and broccoli have plenty of chlorophyll and minerals.
- Cabbage has Sulphur which is why it is a great detoxifier. It also contains vitamin C which means it is a great free radical scavenger. It is a powerful blood purifier and removes uric acid so it helps with skin issues, arthritis, gout, and eczema.
- Burdock root is one of the best detoxifiers. It removes heavy metals, and supports healthy liver function. It also reduces inflammation, calcium deposits and swelling. It is one of the best blood purifiers.
Pre made and tested formulas for detox juices are another way to go, especially if time is an issue. If you are creating menus for detoxing then this list will give you something to go with. In general, fresh raw foods and fruit help the body to alkalize, heal and detoxify. Use a few of these and add other vegetables and fruit and you will have the basis of a super charged healthy diet.
Cautions Before Starting a Detox Diet
If your minerals are low you may need to re-mineralize. A lot of people are low in calcium, magnesium, iron, Sulphur potassium and phosphor. The calcium in particular acts like a net to catch the toxins which are released when detoxing.
Toxins are stored in the body fat so you could feel quite ill if toxins are not bound by alkaline minerals. This means the toxins will not be released or if they are will be recirculated back into your system.
By drinking green juice before and during your detox you will ensure an alkaline system. Wheatgrass, spirulina, blue green algae and vegetable juices are all alkalizing and mineralizing.
The Benefits of Chlorophyll in a Detoxing Diet
What are the best raw foods to use in a detox diet? Green juices and green smoothies contain chlorophyll, and minerals. The green color in vegetables comes from the chlorophyll. Here are some amazing benefits of chlorophyll.
- Blood purification.
- Immune system booster.
- Powerful kidney cleanser.
- Improves liver function which assists in detoxing.
- Enhances and feeds good intestinal flora.
- Stimulates the bowels and acts as an intestinal cleaner
You may find it beneficial to alternate the green smoothies with green juice. Also, do not forget pure water. Start lightly in the morning with a glass of water and perhaps even warm with lemon juice.
Foods to Avoid During a Detox
Staying with fresh greens and fruits is the key to a successful detox diet. Once food gets heated above 118 degrees F it will lose vital nutrients.
- Cut out processed carbohydrates, those donuts must go and the pastries as well.
- Canned foods.
- Dairy products.
- Artificial sweeteners.
- Coffee and caffeinated products. Mild herbal teas are permissible.
- Avoid pasta and grains and breads.
- Meat products are a no-no as are fish, eggs, and poultry.
- Also, avoid cooking anything in bacon grease or an animal product derivative.
- Certain processed foods like nuts, soy, beans mushrooms and rice
Should I Exercise while Doing a Detox?
Subjecting the body to vigorous exercise when the protein and carbohydrate availability is low is not recommended.
Additional stress is added to the system that is already dealing with the detox. Heavy exercise can fatigue and cause muscled damage.
Also without the support of additional protein and carbohydrates post exercise recovery will be minimal at best.
During intense exercise the body uses sugars, stored carbohydrates (glycogen) and fats for energy. Getting more carbohydrates post exercise is crucial for reducing cortisol which is a stress hormone and is elevated during exercise.
Eating this amount and type of carbohydrates will go against what you are trying to achieve with the detox. The best exercises would be low intensity walks and perhaps a little yoga or Tai Chi. These more calming and relaxing forms of exercise would facilitate removing toxins without the stress of increased activity.
Drinking Water With Detoxifiers
Drinking lots of water will automatically start a detox cycle and flush out toxins. This process can be dramatically enhanced using cucumbers, ginger, mint or lemon in your water. Here are a few ideas to jump start a cleanse.
You will need these ingredients.
- Lemon juice helps to cleanse and detoxify the body. The only caveat is that if you have any digestive issues regarding acidity this may be best avoided. Lemon juice can be added to water or try a slice of lemon in a pitcher of water. Warm water with a tablespoon of lemon juice in the morning has enormous cleansing benefits. Your liver will thank you.
- Try a few slices of cucumber in your water for a soothing drink. The cucumber will re-hydrate you and is known for its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Grate ginger into a glass of water. This is wonderful for digestion. The amount used is according to taste so test it for comfort.
- Mint is a very soothing and has a way of sweetening water without having to add any sugar. Mint is another cleanser that will help digestion.
Combine all these powerful ingredients into 24 ounces of water. In an interesting article appearing in Everyday Health, called Your Digestion Could Be a Matter of Degree, it is suggested that warm water is more beneficial than cold or icy water.
The colder the water, the more likely that digestive issues, including diarrhea, constipation and stomach cramps may occur. Take a few slices of cucumber, a few sprigs of mint leaves. Add a few thin slices of ginger (previously peeled). Add the juice of half a lemon, stir and allow to sit for at least an hour before drinking.
You can expect quite a few changes for the better after a detox. The improvements in your health will be soon apparent and what I hear from most people who embark on this journey is: I feel so calm, clear and happy!
Most people have some heavy metal toxicity and getting rid of these metals can really help your overall well being. I can’t wait to do it again. It does take time and a commitment but is well worth the effort. Try detox juices if you are in a hurry or would like to jump start your detox.